Sunday, March 21, 2010

Two Cents' Worth on Health Care Reform

I decided to write a letter to my new Senator, and thought I'd post it here as well.

--
March 22, 2010

The Honorable Scott P. Brown
317 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

RE: Health Care Reform -- PRO

Dear Senator Brown:

I am writing to urge you to support the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, the comprehensive health care reform legislation that has been passed Sunday night in the House of Representatives.

I say this as someone who has a "Cadillac plan" through my wife's employer. Because our marriage is not recognized under Federal law, we are already paying extra income taxes on the value of my insurance benefits. I am angry that we pay extra taxes because we are lesbians. However, if everyone who had a plan like ours -- gay or straight -- had to pay an excise tax, I would be happy to do so if it would help my friends and relatives to have the protections this law will afford.

In my younger days I studied engineering with people from all over the world. Whether they were European or Canadian, or from India, or “godless” communists from the People’s Republic of China, they all found it unbelievable that in a country as wealthy as the United States, some people could not afford to be sick. So do I. I urge you to view the legislation in this light, and vote YES.

Sincerely,

(The Rev. Dr.) Joan M. Saniuk

No comments:

Post a Comment