Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I lived in St. Louis County in the late 70's, while I was in graduate school. My first year was a little scary; I lived in Maplewood, where I was sexually harassed by a policeman. For the following two years, I had an apartment in the Delmar Loop in University City. It was the opposite of Maplewood in this sense: the neighborhood was rough, but the cops seemed to be on the up and up.

One evening I heard gunshots, and called the police to report them. Within two minutes, a pair of cops was at my door, one black and one white. They were professional and respectful. I felt deeply reassured that in U. City, I could at least trust the cops.

I am not surprised, but I am deeply saddened, that we have made so little progress in the 30 years since I lived in STL. All this is preface to the following from MCC Churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment