Monday, June 29, 2015


What Does Marriage Mean?

Just a short reflection in celebration of the Obergefell decision:

As a Catholic child, I heard over and over and over again about the wondrous unconditional love of God. I never really understood what unconditional love was, though, until I was in relationship with my spouse Sharilyn.

Every day, Sharilyn shows me what it is like to be loved unconditionally. No matter what. Whether I'm thoughtful or thoughtless, wise or foolish, kind or unkind, she loves me. I'm amazed on a regular basis. By the grace of the Holy One, we will celebrate our 20th (church wedding) anniversary this September. 

In every time and in every culture, as far as I can tell, there have been people who were different. Some cultures make a place for them, others did not. In Massachusetts, we have been married in the eyes of the law for eleven years, and the sky has not fallen. It won't fall in Nebraska or Alabama or Texas either.

I give thanks for this ruling. Congratulations, all you "newly"weds, whether you've been together for 2 years or 52!

No comments:

Post a Comment